SRH Campus Haarlem
Student Life

How to Finance my Studies? A Practical Guide

In this blog we will explore options for students from the EU/EEA and also some options for international students. Let’s dive in!

To finance your studies at SRH Haarlem Campus in the Netherlands, you have several options available. One of the main sources of funding is student finance provided by the Dutch government through the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO) or in English – Education Implementation Services.

We offer advice on how to finance your studies

Want to know more about how to finance your studies in the Netherlands? Hop on in our zoom call every Tuesday from 4pm -5pm (CET). See you soon! Parents are welcome.

You can simply join by clicking on the button below. You can join only during the suggested times above.

DUO Financing

Dutch nationals and eligible non-Dutch (EU) students can apply for student finance, which includes components such as a basic grant, supplementary grant, interest-bearing loan, student travel product, and tuition fees loan. 

Applying for the supplementary grant is crucial, and eligibility is determined annually. Students living away from their parents can receive additional financial support. To qualify as an independent student, you must be registered at a different address and actually live there. 

Exceptions exist for certain situations like internships or residing in a shelter for domestic abuse victims. Student finance amounts vary, the maximum one can borrow is the maximum amount you can borrow through DUO is €1,878.29, or €22,539.48 per year. 

The finance HBO or university begins when the program starts, typically on September 1st. Payments are made monthly, including during the summer holidays. It’s important to note that student finance may require repayment. Please check these details here

Application and requirements

To apply for student finance, you should do so in advance, preferably 8 weeks before the finance is due to start. The application process involves obtaining a DigiD for online services and completing the application through Mijn DUO (My DUO), the online platform

DigiD is a digital identification system used in the Netherlands for accessing various government services and websites. If you would like to know more about DigiD and how to get it, read our guidelines on it. 

If unable to log in digitally, a paper form can be used, but the processing time is longer. Retroactive applications are possible until the start of the current academic year. 

Different procedures apply to students from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, or the Dutch Caribbean. 

Required documents should be included in the application, and the processing time is approximately 6 weeks. Once approved, you will receive a letter and an inquiry form for a BSN number – a personal public service number. 

Registering with the municipality and providing your Dutch bank account details are necessary before you can apply for DUO financing.

Additional options next to funding


In addition to student finance, you may also explore other funding options such as scholarships, grants, or part-time jobs. Many scholarships are available for international students, and you can search for them on websites like Study in Holland or Grantfinder or check this list of possible scholarships.

The Netherlands offers a wide range of scholarships that can help make your dreams a reality. Let me introduce you to some of the popular scholarships you should definitely check out:

1. Holland Scholarship: This scholarship is designed to support international students who want to pursue their studies in the Netherlands. It offers financial assistance to cover part of your tuition fees or living expenses.

2. Orange Knowledge Programme: This scholarship is all about empowering individuals from developing countries to contribute to the development of their home countries. It offers funding for a wide range of courses and fields of study.

3. Orange Tulip Scholarship: Looking for a scholarship that focuses on excellence and merit? The Orange Tulip Scholarship is tailored for talented international students who demonstrate outstanding academic achievements.

4. DIKTI-LPDP-STUNED Joint Scholarship Programme: This unique scholarship program is a collaboration between the Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture, the LPDP Scholarship Foundation, and STUNED. It supports Indonesian students who wish to pursue Master’s or PhD degrees in the Netherlands.

5. StuNed Scholarships: If you’re passionate about promoting sustainable development and social justice, the StuNed Scholarships might be the perfect fit for you. These scholarships are aimed at Indonesian professionals who want to broaden their knowledge and skills in the Netherlands

These scholarships offer not only financial support but also incredible opportunities to explore a new country, immerse yourself in a vibrant culture, and connect with like-minded individuals from around the world. So, don’t miss out on these fantastic opportunities to turn your educational dreams into reality. Remember to visit the respective scholarship websites to get all the details on eligibility criteria, application deadlines, and requirements.

Working next to your studies

In Haarlem Campus, we don’t offer scholarships, however, we help our students to find a suitable job next to their studies. We have a network with partnering companies to which a prospective student can apply through us. 

The Netherlands has regulations that allow international students to work part-time alongside their studies. For example, International students may work up to 16h per week with their study visa. For more hours than this students need a work permit from their employer.

However, if you are a student from the EU there are no work permits needed, and also there are no restrictions on the hours one can work.

We highly recommend taking a look at the website Iamexpact, There you will find a list of jobs that you can apply for as well as many different helpful resources and information regarding living in the Netherlands.

If you want to know more about working in the Netherlands, read our more in-depth article here. 


Remember to plan your finances carefully by creating a budget that takes into account your tuition fees, accommodation costs, living expenses, and any additional study materials you may require. This will help you manage your finances effectively throughout your studies.

If you would like to discuss this further don’t hesitate to contact us. We have student advisors that can consult and help you on these matters, you can schedule a call through our website.